Saturday, 17 September 2011

Market Resarch should be country specific

My husband and I both like to excersise so with small kids in the house it's a bit of a juggling act and we have to 'book' our slots and there's a 'use it or lose it' policy in our house. So this morning when I was about to embark on my bike ride, the sky was not exactly cloudless but it wasn't heavy either. Perfect, I have recently acquired a 'shower proof' jacket, that will do the trick. An hour in and of course the shower starts - I guess the only way to test how shower proof your jacket is to go through a shower - the answer to that question for me? "not very". It's not a cheap jacket either so I spent the rest of the ride infuriated by the misleading marketing of the item and if nothing else, it gave me something to think about and in turn write about.

Market reasearch is a fundamental part of starting a business, in the good old days before everything went global, your local market was just that, your local market and the sample of people you researched were indicative of where the product/service/brand was going to be. Nowadays, one tests shower proof jackets in a country where clearly their idea of shower and our idea of shower are two completely different things. My shower proof jacket would have worked in a country where a shower is a mere drizzle, in New Zealand, a shower is anything from strong to torrential. In the country the jacket was 'researched' it must have been a brief WARM shower and then the strong warm trade wind following to help dry up any bit of moisture along with the bright yellow sunshine soaking it all up again. Now, on my ride when the rain iteself feels like it's barely a few deg above freezing level, the wind which prevails from somewhere in the arctic coupled with wet clothes and NO sunshine, Waterproof jacket became a new brand called an "ICE MAKER" - I was wet cold freezing and unimpressed.
Logajob would not work in some countries but it works in New Zealand as there is a high % of internet users, very advanced users, the Tradesman themselves are the guys both on the tools and on the phones and there is still an uncanny sense of 'community feel' in New Zealand as well as a high level of trust compared to many other larger countries with large populations. I'm a small company and I have gone through the effort of at least thinking about tailor making my service to best suit the requirements of the county's users. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the makers of my so-called Waterproof jacket but it's made me realise that where possible, for weather gear buy NZ made because only they understand how showerproof a garment has to be to be truly shower proof under the so called 'showers' of NZ skies. There is no warm wind or sun to help so the product has to be quality from the outset. Mass marketing and globalisation are to blame for the flu I'm about to get -

No comments:

Post a Comment